Decide you want to take the next Friday off. Tell all your friends you will be taking next Friday off. Fantasize about the joys of a four-day week. Fantasize about not being at work on Friday even though it is Sunday and you are not at work anyway.
Discover that the boss is not in. Run around covering for him, pausing to consider that you could do 75% of his job with absolutely no further training since 75% of his job is pretty boring and straightforward. Consider whether or not the other 25% is boring and what you should be aspiring to, if not your boss’ job.
The boss is still not in. Think about calling the boss to discuss Friday. Think about it at 10am, 12pm, 3:32pm and 5:00pm. Unfortunately, you are afraid of your boss, the phone and the tone of voice he will take when he says “You called to ask me that?”
Watch the boss as he stomps around with a frown on his face and yells into the phone for the majority of the morning as he "catches up." Stop by his office three times and each time find him in a meeting. Compose an e-mail, then decide the boss will think it is creepy if you e-mail him about vacation time. The boss claims to be a people person.
Deal with the possibility that the boss will say “No” if you ask him now. Wonder if you should just abandon the idea entirely and come into work the next day like a normal person. Feel guilty for not having asked sooner.
Walk into the boss’s office. Say “So, since I’m not going to be in tomorrow, I thought we should go over x,y, and z.” Watch the boss nod. Ha!